low back pain - melbourne
we're all going to experience low back pain
Almost 80% of the population will experience low back pain at some point during their lives. Until you’ve experienced back pain for yourself you don’t understand how debilitating it can be and how significantly it can impact your day-to-day life.
Whilst only 1-5% of back pain sufferers are experiencing serious conditions it’s important to rule these causes out before developing a treatment plan. More often than not, the back pain we’re experiencing is from weak or tight muscles that have gone into spasm or “protect mode” to prevent further irritation to our backs.
We’ll typically see people develop back pain during times of high stress or when they’ve returned to previous activities after extended time off or loss of general fitness level.
Some potential causes of low back pain:
● Disc injuries / sciatica
● Facet joint syndrome
● Muscle strains / spasms
● Acute or chronic low back pain
● Sacroiliac joint pain
● Nerve pain
● Postural issues
● Overworked muscles
● Prolonged sedentary behaviour
In our experience, back pain is often due to three main factors:
1. Increased levels of overall stress
2. Decreased levels of general fitness
3. Uneven strength or mobility around the hips
At Six Core Outcomes, as qualified Osteopaths and Biomedical Scientists we believe the most important thing is to determine the “root cause” of your symptoms and work together to prevent them from coming back.
To secure an appointment click here.
how do we treat low back pain at six core outcomes?
A typical appointment at Six Core Outcomes for low back complaints will involve ruling out any serious conditions before performing a comprehensive functional movement screen. By looking at how you move and using our state-of-the-art AxIT Strength System we can create a baseline for treatment and rehabilitation.
Using our function-based approach rather than a pain-based treatment model it allows us to establish a working theory on the underlying root-cause of the pain symptoms.
Some of our most-used low back techniques include:
● Finding aggravating movements & postures
● Education on possible causative factors
● Dry needling & cupping for tight muscles
● Electrotherapy for temporary pain relief
● Upper back & hip joint mobilisations
● Hip muscle myofascial release techniques
● Glute & core strength intro exercises
● Encourage maintenance of general fitness
Depending on your specific presentation your appointment may include:
● AxIT System strength testing
● Functional movement screening
● Neurological & orthopaedic tests
● Dry needling / functional cupping
● Electrotherapy (TENS / e-stim)
● Joint mobilisations
● General soft tissue work
● Stretches & strength exercises
● Ergonomic recommendations
● Activity modifications
● Lifestyle adjustments
At Six Core Outcomes we live at the intersection of manual therapy and movement science. We assess tissues and joints and if needed will use restorative input (dry needling, cupping, mobilisations etc) to decrease pain, release tight muscles and remove barriers to movement.
So whilst your appointment may include manual therapy or restorative input, we appreciate the short-term nature of the benefits and will aim to progress you to a movement-based intervention as soon as your body allows.
Remove the guesswork from your pain
Stop missing out on doing what you love. Life’s too short. Book an appointment today.