Postural Strains - melbourne
Chained to the desk 9-5?
At Six Core Outcomes we don’t believe in demonising posture and promoting a “perfect posture” that suits everybody. Unfortunately, there’s no one size fits all!
That being said, we do believe that prolonged postures can contribute to pain developing in the body. All our tissues have a certain capacity or tolerance to load. By spending extended periods of time in one position we’re not sharing the load around.
Your best posture is your next posture.
Think about holding a 1kg dumbbell in your hand and holding a static curl position. It’s probably pretty easy for most people but eventually with the continued static position we’ll start to notice strain take place across the elbow musculature and ligaments.
Some potential contributors to postural pain:
● Prolonged static postures
● Previous injury history
● Poor office ergonomic setup
● Poor general fitness level
● Tight muscles
● Ligament sprains
● Increased stress levels
In our experience, postural pain is often due to one main factor:
1. Prolonged periods of time in one static posture
At Six Core Outcomes, as qualified Osteopaths and Biomedical Scientists we believe the most important thing is to determine the “root cause” of your symptoms and work together to prevent them from coming back.
To secure an appointment click here.
how do we treat postural pain at six core outcomes?
A typical appointment at Six Core Outcomes for postural complaints will involve ruling out any serious conditions before performing a comprehensive functional movement screen. By looking at how you move and using our state-of-the-art AxIT Strength System we can create a baseline for treatment and rehabilitation. We’re also particularly interested in an ergonomic workstation assessment for this type of complaint.
Using our function-based approach rather than a pain-based treatment model it allows us to establish a working theory on the underlying root-cause of the pain symptoms.
Some of our most-used posture related techniques include:
● Finding aggravating movements & postures
● Education on possible causative factors
● Dry needling & cupping for tight muscles
● Electrotherapy for temporary pain relief
● Provide an ergonomic workstation assessment
● Suggest movement breaks during work
● Build strength through upper back & hip muscles
● Encourage maintenance of general fitness
Depending on your specific presentation your appointment may include:
● AxIT System strength testing
● Functional movement screening
● Neurological & orthopaedic tests
● Dry needling / functional cupping
● Electrotherapy (TENS / e-stim)
● Joint mobilisations
● General soft tissue work
● Stretches & strength exercises
● Ergonomic recommendations
● Activity modifications
● Lifestyle adjustments
At Six Core Outcomes we live at the intersection of manual therapy and movement science. We assess tissues and joints and if needed will use restorative input (dry needling, cupping, mobilisations etc) to decrease pain, release tight muscles and remove barriers to movement.
So whilst your appointment may include manual therapy or restorative input, we appreciate the short-term nature of the benefits and will aim to progress you to a movement-based intervention as soon as your body allows.
Remove the guesswork from your pain
Stop missing out on doing what you love. Life’s too short. Book an appointment today.